Thursday, May 7, 2009

Street Urchin Turns Princess


Coming home from church one Sunday morning, I saw a tiny white parakeet in the middle of Park Street. I straddled the bird with my car, turned around, and parked on the other side of the boulevard. I dashed across the grass and squatted down in the middle of the street to rescue the tiny bird. The bird would quickly flutter a few inches out of my reach, yet always staying in the street! I tried a couple of times and could never quite reach her.


An idea burst into my head and I stood put, billowed out my full skirt, dropped in over the bird, and quickly squatted down again. My skirt covered the bird and I reached under my skirt with my hands (all of this out in the middle of the street) and captured the bird. I looked up and by then two cars were stopped. I know they must of wondered, "What idiot is this? and what is this idiot doing?" I looked up, smiled, pulled out the bird, and showed them.


I made it back to my car with the tiny bird and handed her over to Dad. The bird let him have it! I wasn't able to find the owner; therefore, I went to Pet Smart and bought the needed supplies for our street urchin. I named her Princess Billie after a dear friend of mine. We have now had this sweet little bird for three years and we just love her chirpping and watching her play with her toys.

Phiss

2 comments:

  1. Cute! And I can only imagine what I would be saying if I saw someone hopping around in the street like that! You got her though, good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great (and funny) story! I didn't know about the little bird. How sweet! Great strategy to capture the bird.

    ReplyDelete